Re: Olde English White

To: RMiller930@aol.com
Subject: Re: Olde English White
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 12:47:50 -0400
> Also, I have been told the only thing they can mix with computer matching is
> base coat/clear coat, and I am thinking of using acrylic enamel.  Any
> thoughts regarding which type of paint to use (lacquer, acrylic enamel,
> polyurethane, base coat/clear coat)?????  Thanks in advance for your help in

I went through this dilemma not long ago, and decided on the base/clear method.
In my opinion, the coat will look better, and you can keep adding clear coats to
give a better, deeper look to the paint.  I got wisdom from the list and there
were as many different opinions as there are people on here!  But I was able to
make a decision based on the responses, and the paint shop (I sort of know the
guy).

If you aren't painting it yourself, it also helps to get base/clear because the
paint shop has to do a lot more detailing to the car...they have to do lots of
sanding and get all the imperfections out because they show up really well after
the clear coat is applied.

For color matching, see if you can find an British car garage that still has
swatches.  I found a guy who has lots of books of colors, so I was able to dig
through them to find the right one.  It is hard these days to find swatches of
the older paints.  I had even gone to a Jaguar dealer looking for the shade of
paint I wanted.  Good luck!

adrian
'75 midget slowly crawling back together

--
J. Adrian Barnes

"Anything tastes like chicken
 with the right seasoning!"