Non-MG: Bad Grounds on 84 Chrysler

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Non-MG: Bad Grounds on 84 Chrysler
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 14:16:07 -0500
I'm trying to help a neighbor with a 1984 Chrysler 5th Ave. The horn
doesn't work and neither do the turn signals when the lights are on. Same
problem with the brake light. And the flasher.. The running lights work ok
until brakes/turn indicator/flasher are activated.

OK...

I'm not used to all this "new-fangled" stuff on cars newer than my Dodge
van (76). Give me a plain old glass fuse....

I traced the horn as far back as a junction box on the outside of the
firewall. The wires come through to the inside of the car in a wad.  I was
following a green wire, but it went away somewhere... I don't see it come
through the firewall. There's red/green, yellow/green, white/green, but no
green. The wires finally end up in a box that makes the inside of a
computer look like ABCs. So... what can I hurt in there? The horn relay is
new. I can make the horn work up to the engine side of the firewall.

I'm wading through a Haynes manual that doesn't make near the sense to me
that the MG books do... of course there's more "stuff" on a newer car, too.

I looked at the connections in the steering wheel and they look OK... I
don't know what/where else to check.

Re: lights...

DCO replaced flasher unit several weeks ago, but didn't check the emergency
flashers at that time. When the lights are on and you turn on the turn
signal/flasher/brake the filament for the lights dims.

I guess I'm trying to save myself some time with this "project."

Where should I start with the lights?

What do I check next on the horn??

Roger is a college student and short on cash... aren't we all?? He needs to
get an inspection sticker within the next week or so.

TIA

Carol