Re: wrist pins?

To: pujalte@stic.net
Subject: Re: wrist pins?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 23:10:56 +0000
> Bob,
>   I am with you.
>   That guy must be a great mechanic.
>   Years ago I heard a story about a mechanic who had been working on an
> engine for a week trying to find out why it missed.
>   A gentleman pulled in to get gas, and from 50 feet away said,
> "swallowed a valve, huh?"
>   I am always very impressed by these stories.
>   I wonder if anyone else on the list has these type of stories to tell.
>   Take care, my friend...

Not really MG-related, but when three-mile island had its little
problem, the operators saw a drop in pressure due to a leak.  After a
few hours, the pressure stabilized, not because the leak had stopped,
but because the pressure had dropped enough to allow the coolant to
flash to steam (not a good thing), and the steam was expanding,
counteracting the pressure loss from the leak.  An ex-Navy ractor
operator walked in, took one look at the gauges, and asked "Uh, so
how long have you had a steam bubble in the core?!?!?".
        A little more MG-related,  When I was getting the "pinking" noise in
my 'B', I had taken the head off to look for excessive carbon and
valve damage.  Finding none, I put everything back together, started
it back up, and the noise promptly came back.  An old-timer that had
just walked in said "Sounds like you've got something hitting the
alternator fins.."  Sure enough, the tensioning bracket lost the bolt
at the alternator, and had rotated enough to occasionally hit the
fins.  Talk about red-faced!
Scott