Re: wrist pins?

To: miker15@juno.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: wrist pins?
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:05:34 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-10 09:57:18 EDT, miker15@juno.com writes:

<< its an irregular sound as if something is loose and its a washer
 floating about
 on a bolt.
 So... i went to see a mechanic pal of mine last night and he had a look,
 listen
 and a scratch of his chin whereafter he declared that he believes it to
 be a
 cracked "wrist pin" which apparently is located somewhere in the bowels

Mike,

     I like to try the simplest and cheapest fix first.  Check the timing.
 Retard it(turn distributor counterclockwise)slightly.  Sounds like "pinging"
to me.  If you don't wish to touch the engine, buy some high octane
gas(premium-93+ octane) and see if this helps.  If the noise does not respond
to either or both suggestions then worry about other things.  If it does
respond, then worry about what your mechanic is up to behind your back!
Tom Green
1979 MGB