MG 1100/1300

To: "'Matt.Kulka@hboc.com'" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Subject: MG 1100/1300
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:42:54 -0700
Matt,

My first MG was an 1100 4-door, named Merlin.  I paid the princely sum
of one dollar for the beastie, and towed him home. This was my first
taste of British cars, and I cut my teeth on Lucas electrics and SU
carbs using trial and error techniques.

Parts are pretty thin nowadays, especially in the US.  I tend to think
that the prospect is not much better in the UK, because most of these
cars rusted into oblivion.  The engine is the same as Spridget, but the
gearbox is in the oil pan, like a Mini.

We have one brave soul in our local Club who still owns an 1100, it was
in pretty good condition when he bought it from a guy in the Bay Area
(no rust).  They are a blast to drive, when they are running.  They did
not adapt well to American sustained high-speed driving.  I sometimes
miss mine, but my GT V-8 makes up for it.

Cheers, PK