MGB Disaster

To: gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: MGB Disaster
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 09:17:45 -0400
Scott-

Haven't heard anything more from you regarding your problem.  I am hopeful
that it wasn't as serious as it first seemed.

Not that long ago I had gotten my B put back together after paint.  The
engine had been rebuilt not too long before.  I was out on my first drive
with my new car, when I heard some noise coming from under the hood,
accompanied by a rapid drop in oil pressure.  As I pulled into the garage
and got out of the car, I observed a streak of oil running up the street
and driveway.  I turned around to see a 4' diameter puddle of oil spreading
from under the car.  I was devastated.

After a little while I went back to the car, and found that the oil cooler
hose was run too close to the alternator pulley.  The fan blade on the
alternator had come into contact with the hose (the noise) and abraded a
hole in the hose (it's amazing how much oil can come out of a small hole at
75PSI!).  Hopefully your problem will be just as silly.

Regards,

Chris