Re: torque setting

To: stritle@epix.net, kelsey@value.net
Subject: Re: torque setting
From: JMerz140@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 12:59:20 -0400 (EDT)
Steve,
I'd go with Skips recommendations.  I, and possibly the other two responses,
 were quoting from the same WKF Woods book on rebuilding XPAGs which could be
incorrect.  We all know that just because its in print doesn't make it so.
 For a frame of reference, I checked a Mercedes book that said use 18 for 8mm
and 37 for 10mm.  The main concern is that they are reasonably tight and
torqued evenly.  The TD shop manual doesn't even provide any such number.
 Another reason you use a torque wrench is to keep from stretching the bolts
to a point of failure, either immediately or in the future.  Some strong
armed ham-fists think that all bolts should be "good and tight".
Since the metal expands with temperature rise, initially set the valve
clearance a little loose like .020 or .021, then go back and tweak it up
after you get the engine warmed up.  Loose, noisy valves won't burn the
valves;  nice quiet, tight valve clearances will keep the valve from
remaining seated long enough to transfer its heat to the water cooled head
which results in a burned valve.
You're doing fine. Jim