Re: torque setting

To: stritle@epix.net
Subject: Re: torque setting
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 06:52:08 EDT
Hi Steve,
 A few months ago, Chip Old posted some wisdom on this list about those
shims under the rocker posts.  He said, essentially, to remove them since
they were put in on the recommendation of the factory, but the factory
was wrong.
  As he explained it, the wear on TD valves and guides caused by side
pressure happens because the geometry of the valve stems and the rockers
is not 90 degrees when the valve is half way down.  In theory, that's
where it should be to minimise sideways pressure.  When the heads were
milled, we put in the shims to "compensate" for the removed metal. He
says that doing so actually made the angle worse, suggested that one look
at the valve action and see.
  I need to do just that. There are shims under my rocker posts also.
Bob