Crankshaft - heat treating?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Crankshaft - heat treating?
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:32:32 -0400
Thanks for the replies on the head studs.  Since I have no idea how many
rebuilds/head tightenings these have withstood, I'll definitely replace
mine.  Thanks to George Merryweather for the suggestion on hardened
studs.  If I have cash left after replacing the toasted camshaft, I'd
like to go that way.

But before I get to replacing head studs:  I was chatting with my
machinist to make sure he would do the work on this car - English cars
are pretty rare in this area.  When we got to the part about checking
the crankshaft journals, he asked me if I'd ever worked on one of these
before (generally a euphamism for "You don't know diddly, do you?").  I
hold this gentleman in respect for his experience, and so I gripped the
arms of my chair and answered "No, this is my first."

He went on to say that English crankshafts are "heat-treated" and from
his tone of voice, this didn't sound like an easy issue to deal with.
He went on to say that he didn't know anyone in the area who works on
them.  Although he said he'd check around and call me back, I can't
escape this feeling of dread.   (He also used the term "Nitriting" -
evidently another name for the same thing.)

I haven't read anything on the list about this issue, so I'd like to
ask:  What exactly is this issue of heat treating?  I understand that
with heat and quenching, you can harden steel, but what's involved in
the process with regards to crankshafts?  Is it true that *all* MG
crankshafts are heat treated or this peculiar to a model of engine or
range of years?  Most importantly, does anyone have a workaround?

Once more, I thank you all.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - Not cranking right now.