Re: MG RV8 (was "never seen MG")

To: MGDIGEST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MG RV8 (was "never seen MG")
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:17:00 +0100
Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net> said:

>>  No, these aren't the same cars.  The MGRV8 was no prototype.  It was
>>  limited run car built by Rover using the British Motor Heritage MGB
>>  bodyshell as a base.  There was little besides the basic shell that
it
>>  had in common with the B, except the rather archaic use of a live
axle in
>>  the rear.  The fenders were wider, it had the Rover V8 engine (hence
>>  "RV8"), and was sumptuously appointed in leather and wood.  It sold
for
>>  the equivalent of about $45,000.  I don't know off-hand how many
were
>>  made, but the production run was quickly sold out.  Needless to say,
>>  there was no chance of any of these coming to the U.S.  I'm not
sure, but
>>  it is possible they were all RHD.

>About 2000 were built, with around half going to Japan.  The remainder
were
>sold mainly in Europe therefore both LHD and RHD.  In the UK used
examples
>still seem to command the original price, about UKP25.

<<<<

The RV8's were all right hand drive, irrespective of the market. The
only significant differences for non-UK markets (principally Japan,
Germany and The Netherlands) was a kph speedometer and, in the case of
the Japanese cars, deleted front fog-lights, standard air-con and
"ROVER" badges stuck onto the flanks just behind the front wheels. The
latter was because of a Japanese requirement for car manufacturers to
fix their name onto their cars.

The Japanese markets cars also had a few other electrical mods.
Something like 1,300 went to Japan, about 50 to Germany (I've mislaid my
records) and a handful to other markets. One did make a temporary visit
to the 'States, when Roche Bentley took his over to MG '94, but as far
as I know there aren't any there now. I've driven them, and as an MG V8
lover of old, I love them to bits; but with no PAS (with much bigger
tyres!), relatively primitive suspension (albeit much more advanced than
the MGB) no electric windows or other "basics" which the average
customer expects, the RV8 was a minority interest.

When I drove the car which featured on the front cover of my MG V8 book,
the reaction I got from people was really great. Whereas some people
would glower at Porsche and Mercedes drivers, with that "look at that
rich bastard" gleam in their eyes, everyone loved the RV8 - van drivers
would pull up alongside and ask about the car, and people would wave and
smile. In turn, I felt like a million dollars, but not in a snooty,
supercilious way; I just felt happy and privileged to be there. That
must be down to the MG factor.

David K.