Re: Valve Adjustment Gone Bad!!! (help quick)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Gone Bad!!! (help quick)
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 17 Oct 1997 08:37:51 -0500
In <19971016172559.23565@jungle.direct.ca>, Skye Poier wrote:

>Huh, last time I was under the hood I was wondering if you could do that,
>run the car with the valve cover off.  Mostly I was afraid of oil doing
>a volcano impression all over the engine bay.  Any precautions?

My Dad taught me how to adjust valve clearances by pulling the cover
on a 36 Chevy Master Coupe and doing it while the engine was running.
Actually, it's not too hard to adjust if the engine idles slowly
enough.  Even on a B I often check clearances this way.  Stick your
feeler under the rocker and move it around a bit.  When you get to a
feeler you can't get under the rocker, that's your limit.

In terms of mess, the oil comes out very slowly, at least at idle.
The biggest problem is the draft from the fan, but that is reasonable
if you don't rev the engine.

        A. B. "Tips from the first half of the century" Bonds