Re: metallic squeal??

To: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca
Subject: Re: metallic squeal??
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 01:49:37 EDT
On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:20:06 -0400 (EDT) bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric
R. Stephen) writes:
>Clutch rebuild, tranny rebuild, everything back in and tightened down.
Now I have a high pitched squeal coming from somewhere up front in the
MGA 1600.  Any list suggestions on what I should be looking for?

Need more information:

a.)  Does the clutch work OK?

b.)  Does the transmission work OK?

c.)  Is the squeal always present, only with the clutch depressed, or
when the clutch is up in neutral, or only when the car is moving?

d.)  Does the pitch of the sound change with engine speed, or with ground
speed?

If the clutch and gearbox work as they should, and the sound is ever
present, and the pitch changes with engine speed, it probably has nothing
to do with the clutch or gearbox.  In that case, look for something
rubbing, like maybe the generator fan touching the face of the generator,
or water pump noise, or a lose fan belt, or something touching one of
belt pulleys.

If the noise only comes on when you depress the clutch, you might suspect
the bronze pilot bushing in the rear of the crankshaft, carrying the nose
of the transmission input shaft.  That would require pulling the engine
again to check.  The clutch disk might also be a little lose on the
splines of the transmission input shaft, worn disk splines or worn shaft
splines.  That would allow the clutch disk to chatter when the clutch is
released (pedal down).

If the noise goes away when you depress the clutch, you might suspect the
clutch release bearing to be off center and rubbing on the transmission
shaft.  This is caused by a worn out bushing or pivot bolt in the clutch
release arm.  You can check for this condition by moving the release arm
by hand where the slave push rod attaches to the arm.  Try it first with
the engine off to see how much wiggle the might be.  If it moves sideways
about 1/8" or more you have a lose bushing.  Then try it while the engine
is running.  If the noise goes away when you move the arm, you're in for
pulling the engine again.

If none of that gets you to the noise, we ask some more questions.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude