Re: Water pumps was my 'brake'

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Water pumps was my 'brake'
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 19:06:48 -0600
>>>Will the late model cast iron pump fit on the early engine?
>
>Whoa.  Still no.  The Water pumps for the 5-main and 3-main engines are
>not interchangeable.  The later models have a larger impeller and are not
>lined up on the same axis.
>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA with an attitude

Barney is correct 5 main pumps don't fit 3 main engines due to impeller size
among other things.  Also, some of the replacement pot metal pumps don't
line up on the same axis.  I bought a replacement water pump for my MGA
(which has a 3 main MGB block), and when I tried to put the fan and pulley
back on, tehy were about 1/4" too close to the engine.  I had a buddy of
mine machine out a 1/4" thick shim, and put it between the pulley and the
pump, and it worked out just fine.  It is something to check though.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C