Re: U-Joint HELP

To: Glenn Wakefield <Wake@csolution.com>
Subject: Re: U-Joint HELP
From: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:39:08 -0400
Glenn Wakefield wrote:

> Anyways, I figured I would replace the U-Joints "while" the drive shaft
> is out.  Any suggestions as to how to do this.  The Manual says "tap
> lightly with rubber mattle and bearing caps will fall out".  That is
> rather amusing.  I have beat on, pushed, pulled, and cussed at the
> things to no avail.  Anyone want to share some wisdom here?

Did you remove the circlips?  If so what I've done is mount the joint in a
large bench vise hold an appropriately sized socket on the cap (the joint
surrounding the cap your hitting should be held by the vise) with a pair of
pliers and wail with a large steel hammer (take necessary safety precautions
including eye).  Once the opposite cap has been knocked out rotate the joint
90 degrees in the vise and start on the other half.  With two of the caps
knocked out the drive shaft can be separated and the two remaining caps can
be removed.  As long as the circlips are out and a large enough hammer is
used it can be done.  Good luck.