Re: U-Joint HELP

To: Wake@csolution.com
Subject: Re: U-Joint HELP
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:35:38 -0600
On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:10:20 -0500 Glenn Wakefield <Wake@csolution.com>
writes:

>Anyways, I figured I would replace the U-Joints "while" the drive shaft
>is out.  Any suggestions as to how to do this.  The Manual says "tap
>lightly with rubber mattle and bearing caps will fall out".  That is
>rather amusing.  I have beat on, pushed, pulled, and cussed at the
>things to no avail.  Anyone want to share some wisdom here?

Well, I'll try this.  I haven't ever been "taught" how to do this so
there may be a better way.  This is what I have  done.

I used two sockets and a vise.  The large socket (must be big enough for
the cap to fit in) is put on one side of the u-joint.  A small socket
(must be small enough to fit in the hole in the yoke) is put on the
opposite side.  Put this whole assembly in the vise and crank.  The small
socket will push out the opposite side cap into the large socket.  You
will be able to remove one of the caps this way.  Then reverse the
procedure and push out the other cap.  You will need a big vise to do
this, or if you are lucky enough to own one, I suppose a press would
work.

Maybe someone out there may have a better way?

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas