Re: FW: MGB - replacing ignition switch, need advice...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FW: MGB - replacing ignition switch, need advice...
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 21:08:03 +0000

> I once had to removethe ignition/steering lock from my Midget - I am pretty
> sure it is the same setup as on the "B"
<<SNIP>>
> The originals are a sort of shear bolt. It starts off with a hex head, but
> as it is done up this shears off so that the steering lock cannot be undone
> with a spanner (wrench ? ).  That's why they are so hard to do when working
> up side down in the car !
>
> Good luck,
>
> Guy

Just another plug for my BPO here.  I went to remove the ignition
switch, mentally bracing myself for the shear bolts, and found that
he and I have the same priorities when it comes to convenience vs.
security.  He had snugged down the shear bolts securely, but hadn't
snapped the hex heads off.  Some spray lube and careful wrenching had
them out, the ignition switch off and cleaned, and all back together
in about fifteen minutes.  No steering column removal, no punch awls,
no dremel tools, no swear words.  Every now and then it's nice to
have something go EASIER than planned.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com