Re: Crack of Doom

To: Larry Dickstein <bugide@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Crack of Doom
From: Chad Cooper <mgb72@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:54:34 -0600
Larry Dickstein wrote:

>         Yes, the mirrors contribute to the crack, or tear, once it is
> there.  I was told by a knowledgible (yes, there are some) body man that
> it appeared to him that the crack occurs when the nuts under the wing
> vent are tightened to tightly and/or when the spacers are omitted.  I
> doubt if there was much technology in vent tightening at the MG factory.
> If you get to looking around, these doors crack on doors w/ out a side
> mirror installed.
>         A door skin replacement is a lot of work-not hard but very time
> consuming.  If you are good w/ a MIG welder, then is becomes  pretty easy
> to weld it together and then braze in a filler.  A DAB of plastic and you
> are on your way.
>
> Larry Dickstein
> bugide@juno.com
>
> "If you're stupid, you'll have to pay for it"

The main cause I have noticed (and I know all of you have done it) is
from closing the door with your hand on the top of the door instead of
using the door pull.  If you sqeeze slightly (to simulate what happens
when you close the door improperly) on this area you will see how weak
it is and you can actually see the metal flex a great deal.

Just my .02
Chad '72 B Daily Driver w/o crack of doom option since repaired 3 yrs
ago...