Re: Crack of Doom

To: "Larry A Hoy" <mgb.roadster@juno.com>, <bugide@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Crack of Doom
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:12:44 -0500
Just to add my tuppence, it's always good to "stop drill" the end of cracks
before welding them, but to give the list the benefit of my experience in
the aircraft repair industry:  do not put the point of the drill at what
appears to be the end of the crack.  Often, the crack continues beyond this
point under the surface and is not visible.  It is better to drill the hole
so that the point of the drill is beyond the apparent end of the crack
about half the diameter of the drill.  The bigger the drill hole, the
better (within reason.  You still have to weld up the hole).  Reinforcement
of
the skin on the backside is also a good idea if you have enough access to
do so.
Again, the bigger the reinforcement, the better.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt."  -- Mark Twain