Re: Old Fart question--NO LBC

To: gardner@lwcomm.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Old Fart question--NO LBC
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 08:35:54 EST
While I am not an OF, I am a gear-head (and if you ask my SO, she'll tell
that I am a virtual storehouse of arcane knowledge...).

On Monday, 27 October 1997 at 16:28, Scott Gardner wrote:

SCOTT>  ..."Lead Sleds" ... most of them had the door handles shaved off.
 [H]ow did you open the doors without handles back in the 50's when this
first started becoming popular?

Response by RICH>  Most used a 12v solenoid attached to the latch
mechanism (similar to the remote trunk opening button on newer cars).
The switch was installed in an out-of-the-way location such as the behind
a bumper or under/in the rocker panel assembly.  Unless they used a keyed
switch, it generally made for security problems, though we should note
that these cars were not 'daily drivers.'

Some builders would install a 'back-up' system to prevent a bad battery
from denying access to the car -- they would use two batteries with one
used to fire the engine and run the car, and the other to run
accessories.  This really isn't a bad idea if one has the space, IMHO,
even if you aren't running solenoids.

One of the neater cars I remember from growing up was a '66 Chevelle.  It
was a low-budget show car that had been given the lead-sled treatment
with the shaving, etc.  The owner opted against the solenoids, and
instead cut a small notch in the upper corner of each door.  By reaching
in with a finger, one could pull up on a rod and open the door.

I'd be willing to bet, though, that most of the owners/builders of these
cars owned at least one 'slim jim....'