Re: 35 or 30 amp fuses?

To: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: 35 or 30 amp fuses?
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:18:19 +1100
At 11:05 am 29/10/97 -0500, John Middlesworth wrote:
>It seems that 35 amp fuses are not widely available, and yet that's what
>my fuse panel requires.  Should I go with 30 amp fuses?  Will the only
>problem be a tendency to blow earlier?  Maybe it's safer, the fuse blows
>before the line burns up.
>
>John Middlesworth
>72 MGB

I am a great believer that 35 amp is far too high and that the wiring will
probably melt before the fuse blows.

A better solution is to try a 20 amp and see if it lasts.  If it does then
you are far less likely to get a wiring melt down.  Keep a few 30 amp handy
if you get frequent fuse blows.  The actual factory specification is a 17
amp continuous 35 amp blow rated.

Hope this helps,

Graham
97 MGF (with about 20 different fuses and fusible links!)
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au
Phone/Fax: +61 2 62889055