Re: O/D discussion

To: ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: O/D discussion
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:56:33 EST
On 30 Oct 1997 08:40:17 -0600 "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
writes:

>I apologize for the diss to others, but most of what you have been
>reading is from folks whose overdrives or control circuits aren't
>working properly.  These systems should be repaired.  With
>everything working, the lielihood of damage is near zero.  Most of
>this stuff is over 20 years old and you have to expect some flakiness
>here and there.  I put in an o/d tranny (after replacement of o-rings,
>filter, careful checkout of solenoid, rewiring with proper connectors)
>three years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble.  It's a delight.  I
>can
>cruise all day at 70 without need of earplugs.  If you forget to turn
>it off, it reminds you by giving lousy acceleration in third gear.
>
>                       A. B. Bonds
Why not insert my four penn'orth,
I was surprised at the dialogue about "damage" occurring to the o/d unit
in non o/d gears, doubtless pure ignorance on my part but i had never
heard
about this before - since ive been using o/ds since 1971 i suppose i have
probably caused a bit of grief here and there.
Only my GT has o/d presently, it works just fine except for being a
little slow to
disengage from time to time- im usually pretty good at remembering to
disengage
but if i dont is it really that dangerous going from 3rd o/d to 2nd? - i
hope not!
The 69 should get o/d sometime over the winter - i obviously made the
right
choice in NOT overhauling it myself (i have this innate fear of o-rings,
just cant
get the buggers in straight!) - now will someone remind me, is it
possible to
install an o/d trans without pulling the engine ? because i can see a
whole lot
of "well since its out....." stuff  happening.....remember the "wrist
pin" situation!!!!?

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT