No Brake lights, no signals either.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: No Brake lights, no signals either.
From: EMPcoLWE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:38:54 -0500 (EST)
Hi List, the title says it.
Now that I have oil pressure and have hunted down and killed several leaks,
It's time to pay homage to the Prince of Darkness.
First, some basic back round:

I have disconnected the hi-low beam dimmer switch and spliced the low beams
in as a temperary measure.
I've also disconnected the wiper motor wiring.
(I mention these in case they've somehow caused the problem)

Now, I have running lights as usual, front and back.
No Brake lights. I've checked  the switch by by-passing it and connecting the
wires together. Power is going to the switch. Power supplied to the output
line doesn't light up the brake lights.
Also, no turn signals. I took the cover off the silver box (signal relays?)
and they do click open. Should I replace the flasher unit?
Could a bad (or mis wired) flasher unit affect the brake lights?

I Tried to trace the wiring circut for the brake lights but couldn't even
find the switch in the diagram. If I knew where it was supposed to go I could
trace it, hopefully finding something easy like a bad connection or
something.
Hey, a guy can wish, cant he?

Well, as Rosann-Rosann O'Dannas Great Grand-mother always said, "if its not
one thing it's another."
 I've checked the fuses, and wiring for the tail lights matches my wiring
diagram out of my manual. (yellow binder)

thanks for any assistance,
I'm on the digest, respond directly if you wish.
Eric
59 MGA