gudgeon pins- or is it?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: gudgeon pins- or is it?
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:28:38 EST
Some of you will recall that i have been experiencing a pinking sound
under load
on my 69, it was diagnosed as a gudgeon pin and i was kinda resigning
myself
to some severe monetary recession....
however....
I spent the better part of a day tightening any and everything i could
think of and whilst this
mitigated the situation not a jot i suppose less things are likely to
drop off in the near future!
Yesterday I left the office rather late, extremely tired and half way
home realised that i had
NOT heard the offending noise, I started to think through what was
different, the car was nearly out of gas
and i had put some carb cleaner in last time i filled up - i wondered if
that might be it
Then i realised that i was running on a bit more than half choke! - I
stressed the engine a bit by
slowing down then accelerating up a hill in top - no pinking, i then
pushed the choke in and did it again
the pinking returned though not as bad as usual.
i completed the journey with no choke and whilst there was some noise it
was less than usual
this morning on full choke - and with a full tank - nothing......
Now, am i dreaming? clutching at straws that my pinking is just that -
and not something a great deal
more dreadful or is it possible that i need a carb adjustment?
The car always runs on 93 octane so nothing has changed there - could the
carb cleaner have had an
impact?
Any thoughts gents? anyone b.t.d.t.?

thanks