Colorado Emissions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Colorado Emissions
From: mil76@juno.com
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:55:43 EST
        I know there are a few Colorado listers out there, so hopefully
someone can help me with my dilemma.  I brought my 76 B to Colorado from
Pennsylvania a few years ago.  I have a Weber DGV, header, and freeflow
exhaust on the car, and I no longer have the original ZS carb and
emissions equipment .  I rejetted the Weber for the altitude, but when I
went to get the emissions test for changing the registration, the car
passed the tailpipe test with flying colors but failed automatically
because the car didn't have an air pump (I think the tester mistook the
front muffler on the exhaust as a catalytic converter).  When I tried to
call the state to find out my options, I usually got a snooty answer like
"Get it to pass."   So the car was put in a garage and has sat there ever
since.  I've been in LA for the past year but I am moving back to Denver
next week and would like to get the B back on the road.  So my questions
are:

1.  Can I get an exemption?   I know that Colorado will give an exemption
if you show receipts for a certain amount of repairs, but I don't know if
this applies when equipment is missing.  The car passes the tailpipe
test, so it's not a polluter.  If I can get an exemption, how does
someone go about it?

2. Can a Weber DGV setup run with an air pump?

3. Does anyone have an air pump and necessary plumbing for sale?  It
probably doesn't even need to be working, it just needs to look like it
does.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  It's a shame that I've finally
gotten the car to run right, and now I can't even drive it!

John Miller
Studio City, CA (but Denver next week!)
76 MGB
95 Nissan Pathfinder