Re: to rebuild or not to rebuild

To: span@datacom-bo.net
Subject: Re: to rebuild or not to rebuild
From: aurora-guy@juno.com (Eric Klos)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 15:56:30 -0500
>must. The mechanics I contacted will not do it for less than 300U$
>Wonder if
>doing it my self is worth the hassle. I know it might be a lot of fun
>also,
>Cheers Enrique

If this is your first time, figure how much time it will take you, and
then multiply that figure by four:)  It is not as easy as many think, not
a rip it apart, slap a few new parts in, and slap it back together, good
as new.  The reason that mechanics charge so much, besides being greedy,
is that many special tools are needed to do it RIGHT.  Mind you, it can
be done with basic tools, but expect the motor to run worse after the
rebuild than before.  With this in mind, I really enjoy rebuilding the
motor, even if it does sometimes cost me more, because I like the
satisfaction of knowing I did it myself.  There is not a single thing on
any of my vehicles that I had someone else do.  I have never paid someone
else for a repair.  I also have blown through a couple grand in mistakes
along the way.  If you have a lot of time to spare, and are willing to
spend the money to get the right tools and parts, then by all means go
ahead and do it, but expect to make a few mistakes along the way, and
have it take longer  than you expected.  The first time around, it will
cost more, but it will get cheaper every time thereafter.

Eric Klos <aurora-guy@juno.com>  Harrison Twp. MI
WANTED:Datsun Z car slot cars, static models, diecasts, literature, etc.