Re: to rebuild or not to rebuild

To: "ENRIQUE CLAURE" <span@datacom-bo.net>, <mgs-owner@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: to rebuild or not to rebuild
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 97 15:41:05 -0500
>Hi MGers: After a lot of thought I have come to the conclusion that I should
>ask the list the following:
>
>I am about to rebuild the engine of my 77B with the Britek Major Engine
>Rebuild Kit. I wonder how much of task this is and how long does it take a
>moderately proficient do it your selfer such as I. Also, what book/s are a
>must. The mechanics I contacted will not do it for less than 300U$ Wonder if
>doing it my self is worth the hassle. I know it might be a lot of fun also,
>Cheers Enrique
Well it's been a while and it was on a Midget - but you should be able to
get the engine and tranny out in a couple of hours on a weekend. Then
take it apart another couple hours. Then the waiting begins. Take the
head, block, crank and cam, stripped of course, to a machine shop and
have them check everthing out. Then and only then start ordering parts.
This is cuz the machinist may recommend undersize bearings, oversize
pistons or what ever. Then again maybe not. But if you order standard and
then need over/under size whatever you're stuck. Get the block tanked.
Then when you get it back you should be able to get it back together in a
weekend and back in the car in less than a day.

Then again it might take longer depending on how susceptable to the
"while-I'm-at-it-itis".

Larry Macy
78 Midget (Took most of three months for the above + "while-I'm-at-it's")