Re: I bought a "bastard" MGA! Help!

To: debrown@concentric.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: I bought a "bastard" MGA! Help!
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 10:40:32 EST
On Saturday, 8 November 1997 at 08:59, Dave Brown wrote:

DAVE>  Well, I finally stepped up to the plate and bought something that
looks
like a "classic".  But boy oh boy, when you hear what the DPO did to this
one...

Response by RICH>  Don't think of it as being ruined by the DPO -- think
of it as being an opportunity to fix up just how you'd like it!

DAVE>  Stats: 61 MGA 1600 with a (gasp) Iron Duke Chevy 4cyl and who
knows trans.

Response by RICH>  That would be a Pontiac four cylinder if it's the
'Iron Duke' version.  Purism aside, it beats any of the MG engines for
reliability and strength (basically, all Pontiac did was saw their 350
cid V8 in half -- you can even use the V8 head on these).  The
transmission is probably one of the cheapie Muncie four-speeds with the
yoke mounted to the MGA propellor shaft. They can be dependable.  My
guess is that the DPO transplanted the powertrain from a mid-70s Pontiac
Sunbird into your MGA.  I'd clean up the installataion and keep it.
Cheaper parts, greater parts availability, more power, more reliability,
and a great aftermarket source of relatively cheap high performance
parts.  If you do your work carefully, it'll even look like it belongs
there....

Have you posted your plan to sell your Midget to the Spridgets List?

Keep us updated on this one -- I think you're going to have a bunch of
fun!

Luck,

Rich