I bought a "bastard" MGA! Help!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: I bought a "bastard" MGA! Help!
From: David Earl Brown <debrown@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 08:59:30 +0000
Hello All,

Well, I finally stepped up to the plate and bought something that looks
like a "classic".  But boy oh boy, when you hear what the DPO did to
this one...

Stats: 61 MGA 1600 with a (gasp) Iron Duke Chevy 4cyl and who knows
trans. Needs: 1 hubcap, 1 wheel for a spare (disc) complete interior and
proper steering wheel, engine and trans, (obviously), preferably an 1800
B with an overdrive trans (If this can be done), 2 mirrors, winshield
glass and packing, rear view mirror, top and _all_ hardware, new rear
springs, rebuild or replace shocks., new paint job and proper badging,
and more that I don't yet realize I am sure.

The cool part is, at 50 MPH it looks good!  I drove it home from
Algonac, MI on the North side of Lake St.Claire to Farmington Hills, MI,
a North western suburb of Detroit, and it rode pretty well.  If the
shocks weren't letting the car bounce, and the temp had been over 35F
(no top remember, btw no heat either) It would have been great.

The dash in this puppy is made of wood, but the switches and such are
all clustered where the speaker grill should go, so I guess a new dash
(and ignition sw) is in order.

Any helpful advice, shudders, rude looks or notice of parts (or parts
cars) for sale would be greatly appreciated! If anyone has collected the
combined wisdom of the list on the MGA, I would be happy to recieve it
by email. And, btw- garage space and finances make it neccessary for me
to sell my 77 midget 1500 with about 3500$ in parts invested.  If you
know someone who is interested, please send them my way! Have a great
day.

Yours,
Dave Brown
61 MGA (sort of)