Re: Going to and fro...

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: Going to and fro...
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 09:21:00 -0600
A friend recently nearly destroyed his newly rebuilt transmission by
towing his B with one of those two wheel dollies.  He said that one of
the bearings in the transmission locked up because it was not getting
lubrication.  The first clue he had that something was wrong was the rear
wheels of the B locked up and the car swung around and hit his pickup
truck.  Along with having to pull the engine to replace the bearing, he
had to clean out all those metal filings out of the tranny.  He also had
some body work to do on the fender that hit the pickup.  He would have
avoided all this had he disconnected the prop shaft first.  He did get
about 40 miles before this happened, though.  So short trips would likely
be all right.

When we covered this thread earlier this year, someone told a similar
story of someone towing a TD without disconnecting the prop shaft.  In
that case, when the bearing in the transmission froze, the transmission
itself started spinning.  It largely destroyed the car from the inside
out.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX