Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine replacement options (non-MG)?
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:43:51 -0600 (CST)
On 10 Nov 1997, A. B. Bonds wrote:

> I doubt very seriously that this is true.  Rebuilding a B power plant
> is no more expensive than rebuilding any other 4-banger, and
> considerably less than alternatives with more cylinders.  By the time
> you are done with changes in mounts, driveshafts, suspension, cooling
> and brakes (required for more powerful units) you will be well beyond
> the costs of a rebuild.  If you simply want more power, say so.  But
> be prepared to pay for it.

        I'm not looking for more power.  I was really wanting a four
cylinder replacement, probably 1.8 liter or there abouts.  I wouldn't
avoid an option that gives more power, but that's not my goal.  More
reliability and easier parts availability is.  By this I mean being able
to go down to the local parts store and ask for x item without being told
that it's unavailable there or they can special order it for me, but it's
going to cost.  I'd like to not have to order parts, rather be able to
walk into a parts store and stand a reasonable chance of using an off the
shelf item.  I don't have the fortune to live near an MGB supplier, so
this isn't currently something I can do.  Moreover, I've seen rebuilt
engines (minus the attachments such as carbs) in the neighborhood of
$800.  That seems far more reasonable than what I could hope to do a
complete rebuild of my engine for, if I'm using Moss as my parts supplier
(though I grant that I've not actually added up all the parts to see).

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege