Re: MGB engine conversion

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Subject: Re: MGB engine conversion
From: Steve & Carol Welch <welches@loop.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:08:11 -0800
At the beginning of my 6 year '67 B restoration, I seriously contemplated a
Rover (ex-Buick) 215 V8 conversion.  Decided that it wasn't worth it on the
early body.  A post-74 car is a better bet, as the chassis is designed to
accept the little V8.  While this was several years ago, I found two
companies that may be of interest to you:

Rovers West in Tucson AZ: 602/748-8115  May be useful for locating engines
and misc parts

V8 Conversion Company in Kent, UK:  0689 858716 (dial 011 + 44 + 689858716)
The V8 Conv. Co. has a pretty decent little conversion guide booklet which
discusses each system and necessary mods, as well as a project specific
parts and price list. There was a good article in Classic and Sportscar
magazine in Feb 93 that detailed a Heritage-shelled B with a V8 by the
Conversion Company - good color pictures & writeup, if you can find it
somewhere...

I think it would be a fun project on a later car, especially a dry-state
car that's missing major drivetrain components anyway.  Be sure to check
about your state's emissions laws first, though, & figure out a way
around/through that maze before you spend t.l.c. on the project. (Tons of
Loot & Cash :^)  )

If anyone has specific questions, I can look through my literature & try to
answer...but probably better to contact those who have actually done it.
(Jim Stuart, do you want to take a swing at this??)

Good luck!

Steve Welch
'67 MGB roadster (quaint & orig w/SU's & 1800 lump)

>I'm interested in this also, I'm interested in doing a semi-authentic V8
>installation (maybe with a FI Range Rover engine). My question is, does anyone
>sell a kit that has basically all of the small bits and instructions?

--snip--