Re: Points of interest - Mallory

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Points of interest - Mallory
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:18:27 -0600
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> I was just reviewing some maintainance records.  In September 1990 I
> installed a Mallory dual points distributor in my MGA.  In July of 1997 I
> replaced the contact points for the first time.  In between I adjusted
> the gap(s) occasionally, maybe once a year.  Elapsed distance was a
> little over 70,000 miles.  One set was pretty well "used up".  The other
> set didn't look half bad, so I put them in the box with the travel
> spares.
>
> One for the records?  Seems like a long life to me.

What record would that be Barney? For being a cheap-ass?

Or the anal attentiveness award for actually having records that old just for
a car?

That your filing system is so good you can actually go back and find stuff?

Seriously, tho, I'm imprssed. So wada ya think the secret is?

Ain't there something upstream of the dizzy that controls the lifespan of the
points?

Or maybe Mallory has a really good vendor for condensors?

What coil or you running? Big ballast resistor and low voltage to the points?

Or maybe the load on the primary side of the ignition is lessoned the higher
the revs? I think current requirements for points-type ignitions lessen the
higher the RPM. I don't figure you've spent a heck of a lot of those 90,000
miles in stop-and-go traffic.

I don't see how anything on the secondary side of the system makes any
difference on points longevity.

Say! How many times did that Mallory strand you beside the road because the
"little black box" worked perfect right up the point of going hooters high?

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Computers puhshooters, I like my Mallory dual-point and coil."