Re: Points of interest - Mallory

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Points of interest - Mallory
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:52:36 +0000
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> <snip the part where he calls me a smart-ass>
>
> <When I said...>
> Or maybe the load on the primary side of the ignition is lessoned the
> higher the revs? I think current requirements for points-type ignitions
> lessen the higher the RPM. I don't figure you've spent a heck of a lot of
> those 90,000 miles in stop-and-go traffic.
>
> <and Barney said...>
> The dwell is fairly constant regardless of engine speed, so the points
> are spending the same total amount of time (per minute) closed and
> drawing current.  That's one of the advantages of the dual points setup,
> keeping the contacts closed long enough at higher speeds so the dwell
> doesn't change.

Sorry for letting the thread get stale but it took awhile to find the
reference.

In the 'C' shop manual it says the standard dizzy consumes 3.9 amps
"Ignition On: Standing" and 1.4 amps at 2,000 rpm. So I was figuring
that there would be less of a current load on the points at higher rpm.

So ya don't think so? Is 'standing' when the motor ain't turnin' and the
other 2.5 amps is used to heat the coil? I _know_ the coil can get
pretty hot if you leave the ignition on without starting the car...

My only training in this area is the ability to read.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The biggest thing that happened to the six-cylinder engine in 20 years