Re: Miscellaneous MGB Q's

To: js-allen@students.uiuc.edu
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous MGB Q's
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:37:32 EST
Hi Scott,
 I'm going to reply to some of your questions

>       1) Is there some advantage to the aftermarket electronic
>ignition>kits (and increased voltage coils), such as the Allison, over
the
>stock >mechanical distributor,
  Electronic ignitions are more precise, and they are unaffected by the
wear that's taken place in your distributor.  Increased voltage coils are
debated--some use them, some don't, so the answer isn't clear cut.

>       2) is it possible to fit tire sizes other than 165 x 14 on the
>original Rostyle rims (other sizes are more widely available),
  Yes, and you pretty much have to use something else unless you want to
buy Avons at $$$ each.  I just put on a set of Michelins, 185/70 x 14, a
size recommended by several on this list, and find they work OK. They
look strange, and I haven't tried driving in heavy rain or snow. I'm
apprehensive about those conditions, but may not have any reason to be
that way.

>       4) is there any easy and inexpensive way to salvage an old
>fuel tank>that has brown varnish-like gunk on the sides that is now
plugging the
>fuel >pump filter (non-original filter naturally),
  In Hemmings you will find a number of companies advertising cleaning
and sealing solutions for gas tanks. There is no sin to using an
aftermarket fuel filter; they are approved by the sin patrol as they
improve your driving happiness without leading you into other
temptations.
>>      5) what kind of gas mileage is normal for a standard MGB ('72)
>>with no modifications, and no overdrive?
  YMMV, as in Your Mileage May Vary, as in it's mostly how you drive and
the terrain. Expect 20-25, maybe, though you can go lower and can go
considerably higher too.

Bob