Re: MGA parts compatability questions

To: mike.cousins@wsnelson.com
Subject: Re: MGA parts compatability questions
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:54:03 EST
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:32:11 -0600 Mike Cousins
<mike.cousins@wsnelson.com> writes:

>..... I have 2 MGA's - a 1955 1500 and a 1962 1600 MKII.  ..... Can I
use the fenders off of the 62 1600 MKII on the 55 1500 ????  were there
any body changes that would make them not fit ?

They will fit, exactly the same, except that you will find teo holes for
tail light wires on the 1600 fender and only one hole for the wires on
the 1500 (also holes for the tail light base mounting bolts).

>Can I use the doors from the 62 on the 55 ????

Yep.  Absolutely identical.  Only difference I know is the thumb nut used
to hold the side curtains.

>Can I use other parts - hood, trunk, etc.... from the 62 on the 55 ????

Trunk lid, yes.  Hood (as in engine cover), no.  The early 1500 hood is
about 48" long front to back, and rather flat in the center.  Late in the
1500 run the hood was changed to about 48-3/8" long and more crowned in
the center to allow clearance for the twin cam engine.  All later models
have the larger hood (bonnet).

You will also find differences in the engine rear plate and tranny bell
housing (starter position), and the gearbox rear case, output shaft and
drive shaft.  These parts can be swapped out in matched sets, but
watchout for interference when fitting the 1600 gearbox into the 1500,
there may not be enough tunnel clearance for the high mount starter.

Other body differences would be front parking lights and rear tail
lights.  With the MGA 1600-MK-II (1622 engine) there was another change
to the tail lights, a recessed radiator grill, and minor interior
cosmetic changes, as well as a change from 4.3 to 4.1 in the final drive
ratio.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude