Re: radio wiring

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: radio wiring
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:08:40 EST
Hi Mike,
  I have used them a few times, and our '72 GT had a number of them.  Now
it's down to none, because one-by-one they failed to conduct electricity.
 They looked OK, just did not pass the juice (or smoke).  So, while they
may be OK for a temporary thing, I would suggest that new wire and shrink
wrap would be the best way to go.
  BTW, a tip from an electronics friend--if you have to run a new wire
and you don't have the same color,  take the time to make the ends of the
"new" wire out of the original wire, so you can see that the purple with
blue spots tracer has a beginning and an end even though it's mauve, or
puce, or an earthtone in the middle.
Bob

>       Other than that, you could always unwrap the wiring harness
>four or five>inches and splice in some new wire.
>       3M sells these neat connectors that look something like a
>plastic tube with >two inlets and a metal bar that intersects the two
inlets.  Insert
>your neatly >snipped wires that need spliced into each inlet, then clamp
the metal
>bar down with a >pair of pliers.  The metal bar splits the insulation
and you have a
>safe connection>just like that!  Does anyone have any experiences with
these little
>wonders?  Does>anyone see a reason for me not to use them on the outer
wiring, like >fuel pumps, >lights, etc.?  They're a lot easier than using
a soldering iron and