RE: Radio Wiring

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Radio Wiring
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 06:52:25 -0800
Regarding the question on the 3M connectors that are used to splice
wires, DON'T USE THEM!  I have found these connectors, also known as
Scotchlok connectors, will hold up about a year, then the connection
starts to get intermittent due to corrosion and fatigue of the wiring
where the little metal guillotine pierces the insulation.  What a
barbaric way of creating a wire splice!  Unfortunately, professional
stereo, security system, and trailer wiring installers have taken these
little buggers to heart.

If you have to add a wire to a Lucas harness, use original style
connectors (replacing a 2-wire Lucas butt connector with a 4-wire type
gives you two extra ports for wires) or use a good, soldered lineman's
splice covered with heatshrink tubing.

Check out my article on Lucas electrical systems in the upcoming issue
of British Car magazine (shameless plug!).

Cheers,
Paul Kile