Re: removing the u-joint

To: charlie schellinck <charlie@mars.ark.com>, mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: removing the u-joint
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:08:49 +0000
I made a crude alignment tool by wrapping a length of wire around each
spline and positioning the end of each off the end of each shaft by half
an inch or so.  Rotating each shaft back and fore allows you to get the
end of the wire on the centre line of each shaft (when it stops
wobbling), then you can adjust the position of the shafts relative to
each other.  It helps with the lateral adjustment if not the fore and
aft.

If you have taken the rack off the cross-member I hope you noted the
shims that are fitted each side.

PaulH.