Re: Manifold nuts

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Manifold nuts
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:35:48 +0000
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> I'm having a terrible time removing one of the manifold nuts
> on my 73 Midget engine.  The nut is broken and will turn
> freely and there isn't much stud to grab onto.   Any tips for
> removing such an item? (I'm new to some of these Grapes
> of Wrath tricks).

A Gibbonizer with a cut-off wheel.
  or
A thin chisel (aka small screwdriver) pounded between the nut and the
manifold while turning the nut
  or
Just drill it out and plan on replacing the studs afterwards.

> How can I tell if the head is even reuseable?

Get it out, strip it bare, hot tank, check for flatness, magnaflux for
cracks. (They are pretty stout compared to 'B's and 1500s.)
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The biggest thing that happened to the six-cylinder engine in 20 years