Re: Oil Filter from Hell (long and pointless)

To: "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: Oil Filter from Hell (long and pointless)
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 07:04:23 -0500 (EST)
        First are you sure you are turning it in the right direction? To
be on the safe side take a socket wrench, set it so that it would be
unscrewing the filter if it were a bolt and confirm that this in fact is
the direction that you have been turning it.
        Second assuming that you are turning it in the right direction, if
the canister is tearing off but the filter is not moving, you will have to
break out the vice grips or pipe wrench. Finish tearing off the metal and
get the wrench on the fitting that goes into the engine, it will be the
threaded part on the bottom of the filter. Be sure to turn it in the right
direction!
...Art