Re: Positive or Negative Ground, pro's con's & Radio

Subject: Re: Positive or Negative Ground, pro's con's & Radio
From: Joseph Cianciotti <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 97 19:52:57 -0800
Original message:

>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 97 10:58:42 PST
>From: Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com>
>Subject: Positive or Negative Ground, pro's con's & Radio
>
>My 1963 Midget MK I is all original with the exception of a Moto Lita
>steering wheel. The car is still positive ground. I have a Radio that
>was previously installed in the car. It is a BMCD AM Radio, (I was told
>it works and assume it is positive ground) I notice this radio does not
>have a speaker is it built in? My dilema is this, do I try to get this
>radio installed or do I convert to negative ground and install a 22
>watt per channel JVC that I used to run in my BMW 320I. Are there any
>dangers in converting to negative ground? Does it make my car
>unoriginal? Is the radio I have a BMC radio? I don't mind AM only for
>the short driving I do.
>
>Thanks,  Fred
>1963 MK I (1098CG)

I converted my MGB to negative ground when my generator died.  And =
with the new alternator, I can get stuck in traffic with the =
headlights, heater and wipers on.  (Like at night in the winter in =
the rain) and have a fully charged battery in the morning.  But I =
also found a negative ground version of the BMC radio and had it =
refurbished.  It looks exactly like the original and I can't believe =
the sound that 30-year-old box puts out.  My advice, for what it's =
worth: don't convert unless you're having real electrical problems.  =
Get the old radio spiffed up and properly installed.  And then don't =
use it =AD=AD you should be listening to the joyous hum of the engine =
anyway. ;)

Joseph
67 Roadster

P.S. I have a positive ground BMC radio (As seen on pg 113 of =
Clauseger's "Original MGB") for sale if anyone's interested.