Re: The head's off, chipped valve.

To: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: The head's off, chipped valve.
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:12:30 -0800
Der schwarze Buccaneer wrote:

>         At least one of you recommended I have the head tanked.  What is
> that, where do I have it done, and about what does it run?  There's quite
> a lot of the same carbon crusties on the head's valve recess areas,
> especially in #3's.  The water passages are pretty slimy too.

What year MGB is this off of?  Does the car have emissions controls?  If your
head
has the air inlet ports and you decide to have your head tanked and rebuilt,
most
places will also insist on magnafluxing it.  Magnaflux shows you where the head
is
cracked, and most shops do this as a policy just to cover their butts.  Anyway,
before you go into the shop with this head, pray to whatever deity you believe
in
that your head isn't cracked.  I've gone through two, and both had troublesome
cracks.  Good luck, I'm with you!

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College