Re: Wire wheel conversion (was: GT Springs on a Roadster?)

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel conversion (was: GT Springs on a Roadster?)
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 19:54:55 +0000
Mike Lishego wrote:
> This is a really stupid question, and I was just looking for the time to ask
>it...but
> where do you have to jack the car up on the rear of a wire wheeled MGB to get
>the
> tires off?  I tried to pull them before I left, and I put a jack under the
>pumpkin in
> the middle of the rear end.  When I jacked the car up, the rear suspension
>traveled
> upwards, which caused the upper sidewall of the tire to be blocked by the
>fender
> skirting.  Therfore, I couldn't take the *&#@ wheel off!  Do you need to jack
>the car
> up where the springs meet the frame ahead of the wheel?  Do I maybe need new
>springs?
>  Please tell me someone else had this problem!!!

Mike, I also had this problem before I fitted the rubber bumper springs, I had
to jack
under the front hanger.  Fortunately the business end of the jack fitted the
hanger well
so didn't cause damage and was secure (well, as secure as jacking can be).
With the new
springs I can jack under the axle at either end (secure) or in the middle (not
very
secure) and pull the wheel right off.

PaulH.