SPOT WELDING WITHOUT A SPOT WELDER

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SPOT WELDING WITHOUT A SPOT WELDER
From: BRUCE PHILLIPS <mgb1964@cois.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:46:36 -0500
I need some help.

        After many weeks and skinned knuckles , I am ready to weld sills ,
castle
rails, gusset plates and floors into my 69 GT. I have welded the bottom
rail , and inner sill on . I have welded the jacking strut on. My problem
is welding the bottom of the gusset plate to the bottom rail , and then
welding the sill on. I have tried welding upside down and I don't rec
commend it.

        I recall last year someone on the list indicating that you can spot weld
by drilling holes through the material and filling the hole with weld. Can
someone enlighten me on a few things before I begin? What size hole do I
drill through the material ? Do I actually drill through all the material
or just through the first layer ? what setting on the welder will be best
for simulated spot welding ?  My welder is a Lincoln SP120 commercial unit
. I have the mig unit and am using a combination of gas recommended for
body work.

        Any and all help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BRUCE PHILLIPS
64 ROADSTER
69 GT
77 ROADSTER