RE: Welders / welding

To: "Tyson Sherman" <tsherman@tecinfo.com>,
Subject: RE: Welders / welding
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 97 13:21:18 UT
Tyson,

I'm with you on this but am, sort of, a step ahead.  I have a 130XP
Millermatic Mig welder.  Still not sure how to use this puppy but have a few
buds who are willing to come by and show me the "how to".  They all say Mig
welding is so easy even I'll able to pick it up.  I'm betting that they are
right and am looking forward to the independence this knowledge and equipment
will bring me.

On the welder itself.  I took the "upper shelf" strategy despite my initial
knee jerk to purchase a no name Mig welder at half the cost of the
Millermatic.  Too many folks warned me about buying a bargain brand welder
specifically in regards to reliability, performance, parts availability and
warranty work to comfortably indulge in knee jerking.  I don't have the
experience to be able to say whether this is reality or perception but I heard
stories which consistently sung the praises of major US brands such as Miller
and spat on the less expensive foreign and domestic brands.

However, your note seems to indicate that your welding needs may be a 'one
shot deal'.  If this is the case, I think you are better off paying someone to
do the welding for you.  Otherwise you run the risk of having a very expensive
piece of capitol equipment doing nothing but taking up space in the garage and
may be better served spending money on an air compressor (e.g., Campbell
Hausefield 4hp, 13 gal at Home Depot for $199) or other toy.

We having fun yet???

Dr. Doug
I woke up this morning and that 76 B Roadster was still in my driveway - I
guess this means I can keep it.