Re: Welders / welding

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Welders / welding
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:45:54 -0600
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> I've got a few rust panels that should be welded in my
> 73 Midget project....floors, battery tray, boot floor (maybe),
> and the panels between the doors & fenders (typical
> Spridget spot).
> I know that MIG welding is the way to go, but is one
> such as the mity mite from Moss what I would need to
> do this?  It is a possible Christmas present - I'd have
> to learn how to weld.  Or, would it be cheaper to pay someone
> to weld the above sections.
> Thanks,
> Tyson

Tyson,

It would definitely be cheaper to have someone else do the welding if
that's the only use you have for the welder. But, once you have the
welder, you will find many other projects to use it on.

My welder is a no-name (Super MigMate) but came with the capability of
using a gas shield. Many of the cheaper jobs can just use the fluxed
wire and can't use the gas. I've used mine with the fluxed wire for a
while but recently changed over to 75% Argon/ 25% CO2. There is no
comparison to the weld quality. The gas shielded weld is much better
quality and more consistant.

I would definitely recommend the gas shielded MIG welder for body work
and general home shop welding.

Chuck