How clean does it have to be? (& other stuff)

To: List MGB <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: How clean does it have to be? (& other stuff)
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:47:48 -0600 (CST)
Hello folks,
        I've taken the head off my '72 MGB and pulled all the valves and
studs out in preparation for having it tank cleaned by a shop.  Do I need
to clean the gasket material or oil off before taking in to the shop?  I'm
not sure what the standard etiquette is in such a situation, silly as that
sounds.  Also, do I need to take the valve seats and guides out?  I'd just
as soon not do so, as I intend to reuse them and most of the valves after
a good cleaning (and it's not entirely clear to me the best way to remove
them without damaging something).
        Unfortunately, the first threaded collar of the air manifold was
brutalized during removal, as it had corroded somewhat.  I had to use some
vise grips and I rounded the nut very nicely.  The threads are ok, but the
only wrench that'll work on it now are vice grips.  I looked in Moss, and
they offer a new one for $90, which there's no chance I'm going to pay in
this lifetime.  Are used ones available cheaply somewhere?  If not, I'm
trying to decide whether to just plug it off with a 7/16 bolt or fit the
rounded off collar back in, perhaps to be unremoveable at a later date.
(Oh, for those of you without emissions equipment, the air manifold I
refer to is part of it, not the inlet manifold of the carbs).  Has anyone
bypassed a ruined part of there old manifold by using rubber tubing and
some sort of pipe fitting screwed into the cylinder head?
        Most of my valves have some carbon build-up from the point of exit
out of the guide down to the head of the valve.  What's the best and
safest way to remove this without damaging the valve?  I figured I'd try a
solvent and a wire brush on my electric drill, but I'm not sure if that's
too harsh.
        So far, taking apart the cylinder head hasn't been all that
difficult.  It's somewhat tedious taking all the pieces off (mainly, the
carbs, the manifold, and everything that has to be removed before you can
get to the head bolts), but not exceedingly difficult.  I wonder, would
removal of the head for cleaning and regrinding of the valve seats
annually help the components last longer without replacement parts and
keep the engine running better?  I could see doing this once a year, now
that I've tried it.
        Thanks for tips, advice, flames, and what have you!

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege