Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brooklands Steering Wheel
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 00:36:25 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Randell S Kegg wrote:

> I have a 1949 MGTC that I just bought. It has a Brooklands wheel on it,
> with a black rim,( which supposedly denotes that it is a prewar wheel),
> and the chrome is shot. The centerpiece has the MG emblem and is attached
> to the hub by 4 large screws.  Moss is advertising a Brooklands wheel for
> the TC, but it has a centerpiece that looks somewhat different, with an
> MG emblem and three screws holding it on. The rim is a mottled bronze
> color, ( supposedly correct for postwar T's).
>
> Does anyone know all about these wheels? Is the different centerpiece on
> the Moss wheel correct for a postwar car? Is the Moss wheel faithful to
> the design of the original? Is Moss the place to get a new Brooklands
> wheel, or is there a better place?
> Your help is greatly appreciated........

Brooklands steering wheels were aftermarket wheels.  There were several
variations in color and hub design, no single one of which can be called
the only correct one for a TC.  The ones sold as an option by MG usually
had the mottled bronze rim, I believe, but black-rimmed ones could be had
from other sources.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us