Clutch hydraulics (a wee bit long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch hydraulics (a wee bit long)
From: "bill and penny meyer" <pplusb@northlink.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:26:44 -0700
Yesterday started off OK.  Took my '77 rdstr to a friend's shop where
he let me use the lift for clutch work on the B and the Peugeot.
Decided to get the B out of the way first - it has had marginal
operation twice in the last month or so, which was improved by adding
fluid to the reservoir, so a slave cylinder rebuild seemed in order.
Did that, then a few other things, gravity bled the circuit.  Lowered
the lift, started her up, and no clutch!
My friend was there, so I climbed beneath while he p[layed with the
pedal - only marginal movement of the actuating rod, so we bled it
the old fashioned way - and ended up with NO movement at the rod!
Tried everything in the book, including backfeeding with the pressure
side of my Mighty-Vac.  What a mess!  Tubes kept slipping loose and
squirting fluid all over the place, and I'm lying in it.
Took the master cylinder (recently rebuilt and never used) off my
project car - another depressing two steps back on that one - and
installed it.  Seemed like the removed master was not working
properly when we checked it out at the sink.
Unfortunately, had the same (bleeding?) problems with the
replacement.  Finally wrapped tie wire on the offending tube joint in
th eMighty-Vac system and got just enough to barely use the clutch.
Cleaned the place, etc and set off to my mother's to take her
shopping.  Lost clutch disengagement by the time I drove the 1 mile
to her apt.
Obviously did not take the old dear shopping, but pressed on home
after 15-20 min.  The clutch worked all the way - marginally, but it
worked!
Well, people, what the h--- is going on??
My theory is that when my friend cut the chicken's head off, he
slashed form right ot left instead of left to right.  Also, when I
drew the circle in blood, it should have been done anti-clockwise.
Anybody have any other theories -PLEASE?
TIA,

Bill