Re: MG styling and Eastman's Drivel Part 2 -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: MG styling and Eastman's Drivel Part 2 -Reply
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:04:40 -0600

>>> Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net> 11/25/97 01:07pm >>>
 wrote:

The 'A' ain't ever coming back, Bill, so get over it. It is a great car to
look
at but its too <snip of bad points>, and even the restoration books admit
that <snip of more bad points>  , but by any modern measurement the car is
a dinosaur.
Okay, a good looking dinosaur. <my point exactly>

It wouldn't be much of a stretch to get a Heritage 'B' body shell, install
the
RV8 front suspension,<snip et ceteras, club stuff>>>>

Bob has hit upon exactly the point that I was trying to make.  The term
"retro" implies resurection of the original car.  I agree with Bob that
this would be automotive suicide.  The MGA was not that good of "car" when
it was introduced (mostly because it was delayed IMHO) and by the end of
its run it was hopelessly obsolete.  The fact that it sold as well as it
did underscores the emotional pull of the aesthetics and the strength of
the MG name.

The RV8 is a resurrection and it has done very well for a (very good)
facelift of an old car but it could not be expected to take on more modern
sports cars in head to head competition.  It probably drew more from the
Morgan buyers pool than the Miata or the Z-3 pool.

No one would call the Boxster a resurrection of the old Spyders or the XK-8
a resurrection of the E-type (although it would be closer to the truth
here).  These cars are modern cars using modern materials and engineering.
The designers just happened to choose classic designs in their marques past
as inspiration rather than trying to make a European version of the "flavor
of the year."   This is the route that I am suggesting for the next MG.
Take everything that has been learned in the last 40 years and build a
thoroughly modern sports car using the best components available (which
would probably mean BMW mechanicals) but use the MGA as the "emotional
bogey" for the styling effort.  The result could be a very good sports car
with exciting styling and good dynamics that is unmistakably an MG.  Bob is
also right that the car would be expensive and very few people would buy it
but remember, they only sold 100,000 MGA's in 7 years which is lower volume
than the C4 Corvette on average so it wasn't exactly mainstream.  The good
news is that, ten to fifteen years from now, we could all afford to buy one
at the bottom of their depreciation cycle and enjoy them.  If you could
keep the cost the same as the present 4 cylinder Z-3 you may be OK.

In my world Rover/BMW's future sports car offerings would include:

MG Midget based on a more manufacturable version of the MGF- mid engine to
use FWD components and keep the costs down. 20k US$
The Miata killer.

MGH Using the present 4 cylinder Z-3 underpinnings and a distinctively MG
styled body- preferably a modern interpretation of the MGA, MG's best
looking fully enveloped car. 30k US$  Its own niche

BMW Z-3 with the  6 cylinder.  Preferably with revised styling. 35k US$
Boxster bait

BMW Z-3 with the M-series 6 cylinder.  40k US$
More Boxster bait

MGH "Plus" using an Eaton supercharger on the old 4 cyiinder M-3 engine (or
modern equivelent)  and having flared fenders and wider tires. (Priced
above Z-3 for people with more money than sense)  This is the one I would
buy in 15 years.  Rover could set up a one marque racing series in England
and the US.  It would be fabulous. 45k US$  Specialty car bait (Morgan,
tuner cars, etc)

BMW Z-5 using the BMW V8 and based on the styling hacks shown in Japan this
year 60k US$ more of a luxury tourer

Rover/BMW would then own the sports car market precisely when most of us
baby boomers would have an empty nest and be ready to spend the big bucks.
How can it miss?

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA and willing to test drive any new MG's for BMW/Rover, should they
need me.